Brush cutters are amazing. They're powerful, efficient, can save you a great deal of time while you can manage to look like a superhero while using one. But do keep in mind that they aren't cheap, you have to spend a hefty bit of money behind it and thus it's definitely a wiser decision to research on your product before making a purchase.
There are so many companies making brush cutters of different sorts that have different specialties and have been tinkered in many ways to help the user. But, some of them do make the cut and provide a great user experience, justifying their price tag.
However, it might be a bit of a struggle for you to choose the best brush cutter for yourself. Don’t worry! That's exactly why we're here. In this article, we’re going to present the top 10 best brush cutter reviews after taking into account their evaluation, user experience, price, and availability in the market.
Furthermore, the bottom portion of the article contains a guide on how to choose the best brush cutter, and tips on maintaining a brush cutter too.
So, let’s get started!
Top 10 Best Brush Cutters Review
1. Husqvarna Straight Shaft Gas String Trimmer
Husqvarna takes pride in being an engineering company producing reliable, powerful, efficient and ergonomic brush cutters making our lives easier, and the 324L Straight Shaft Gas String Trimmer is no different.
It has a number of different interchangeable options added so that it can be used not only as a brush cutter but also as a gas string trimmer, brush cutter, hedge trimmer, sweeper, pole saw, tree pruner, tiller or edger with one base engine unit.
It's the most versatile and smart brush cutters available in the market. Without a doubt, it is one of the best brush cutters for small trees as well as grass and other foliage.
- Engine: 4 stroke engine running completely on gas to prevent the hassle of using petrol or oils
- Power: has a power output of 0.8Hp that generates power for the entire brush cutter.
- Fuel tank: the fuel tank is of 12.2 fl Oz, enough to hold the fuel for a complete run.
- Air Purge: A built-in air Purge that removes air from carburetor and the fuel systems
- Attachment A number of professional grade attachments to tinker the brush cutter into different cutters of similar use.
- Battery: Made with a 465vi lithium-ion battery to ensure silence when in use.
- Easy to start engines
- controls emissions to ensure more engine efficiency
- Adjustable handle for better grip control.
- Powerful battery that ensures silence when in use
- Attachment capability
- Runs only on gas, so might be a bit problematic if you used petrol for your cutter before
- The customer service is a bit lackluster
This brush cutter is all about power. Paired up with precision and functionality, it's all you'd need in a brush cutter to get your job done fast and effective. It's really easy to control and paired with its strength from a 20 volt lithium power battery. it's seriously a beast in this field.
- Easy To Use: Weighs around only 5.3 pounds with a line diameter of 0.069 inches. It's lightweight, very easy to turn on and off and very smooth to convert to get the job done right. Doesn't require any extra tools for conversion either. Thus, very effective if you wish to save a bit of time. Also, a great choice for the elderly as the lightweight doesn't put a strain on the back and shoulders.
- Convertibility: Convertible from a brush cutter to an edger, very fast unloading and setting time. The cutter also can work both with the wheels as well as the handle, whichever is necessary.
- Cutting: 12 inch cutting diameter with innovative feed spool system to cut easily. Also, has a cutting line of 10 feet and the 90 degree tilting shaft can be adjusted.
- Protection: Flower space guard to save flowers and other vegetation from getting edged and damaged.
- Battery: A powerful 20V battery that can be shared among other WORX appliances. The cutter comes with 2 batteries, you can use one while the other is being charged. Also, the power of the battery can be shared among other WORX appliances, thus having a few batteries (sold as cheap as $40) can help your entire appliance system if you're a fan of WORX.
- Very lightweight and thus easy to control
- Powerful battery which enables power sharing among other WORX devices.
- 12-inch cutting diameter with Innovative Command Feed paired with a cutting line length of 10 feet which makes cutting both easy and quick.
- A dual function flower protect guard helps in protecting flowers and foliage from getting damaged while cutting.
- The battery life can be a bit problematic for large areas
3. GreenWorks Pro Cordless String Trimmer
GreenWorks is a company that focuses on different product types based on usage. They specialize on smaller products for yards as small as 1/2 acre yards with the primary focus being on lightweight and energy efficiency to stronger 80 holy machines that can take care of much larger areas in a short time.
The Pro 80V 16-Inch Cordless String Trimmer is one of the latter kind. It's powerful, efficient and looks just as good. One of the best brush cutters considering the quality it brings at its price.
- Battery: 80V 2.0OH battery to provide up to 45 minutes of run time. The battery life is perfect if you work on your own yard and doesn't take up a lot of time to charge fully, so saving you a great deal of time.
- Engine: Engine powered by digipro brushless motors to provide the strength of a 26cc engine. It's a modern effort by GreenWorks to provide you with one of the best engines out there for a brush cutter. Doesn't make a lot of noise either.
- Cutting path: Wide 16" cut path with a .080" dual line bump feed head. The line bump head prevents you from damaging the head or hitting flowers or other foliage that you want to maintain. While, the 16" cutting path makes it very fast to keep it closed.
- Attachments: Attachment capable designs that accept multiple attachments from different companies. It has multiple attachment slots and doesn't limit its attachment choices only from the relevant company. Therefore, a large chunk of customization options at your grasp. So this trimmer is definitely worth a try if you're into tinkering your products for your own benefit.
- Speed triggers: Digital Hi/Lo variable speed triggers to indicate speed and fix speed limits easily. These triggers allow precise control over speed to prevent accidental injuries or damage to other plants.
- Powerful digipro engine with Brushless motors
- Modern attachment capable design.
- Digital Hi/Lo speed meter
- Top mounted motor with aluminum straight shaft.
- The battery provides about 45 minutes run time.
- Slightly overpriced
4. DEWALT DCST920P1 Brushless Trimmer
If you want something very personalized that has been researched upon, Dewalt is the way to go. They have their own patented technology to provide you with the very best experience. It's fairly cheap and definitely worth the time and money.
The DEWALT DCST920P1 Brushless Trimmer is one of the best they have in their disposal and it goes without saying it's all you'd need for your lawn.
- Engine and motor: the brush cutter has a powerful engine. The brushless motor paired with their own patented design helps in making the engine more efficient thus making your job done faster
- Gear drive: Patented gear drive design with Rpm: 0-4,600 / 0-6,000 rpm to ensure fast usage.
- Speed triggers: Robust Hi/Lo trigger with speed control to ensure swift power change as well as helps you save a considerable deal of battery life.
- Battery: Comes with a 20V Max 5Ah lithium-ion battery, auxiliary handle, charger, guard, and .080 In. spool.
- Attachments: Comes with an array of products including batteries, guard, charger, auxiliary handle etc. to save you from the hassle of spending extra money.
- Brushless motor and patented gear drive to ensure engine efficiency
- Digital Hi/Lo triggers with speed control. Considerably lightweight with compact design to make your job more efficient
- Dual 0.080" line with bump feed
- 13-inch cutting swath
- A number of complimentary attachments
- Choking hazard, keep away from children
- The unit string might become stuck which is a bit problematic
5. Greenworks Cordless String Trimmer/Edger
GreenWorks is a company whose expertise is in making garden tools. They have a wide range of garden products each focusing on a different aspect of gardening that might fit your choices. From smaller orchards to very long yards, from products of household usage to professional grade equipment, they have everything that you might want to have.
Although you might have a question about the price, it's definitely one of the best brush cutters at this price point.
- Dimensions: Weighs around 8.8 pounds only. Thus Very lightweight and easy to move so it gets the job done both quickly and efficiently.
- Battery: A 24V battery that provides a run time of 25 minutes when charged fully so it packs enough power to get the job done.
- Cutting path: Has a cutting path of 12 inches. Comes with an automated line feed with a line size of 0.065 Single line
- Motor: Brushless motor to increase efficiency of the engine and reduce excess noise from the engine.
- Light in weight
- Doesn't make too much noise so it's operation is very smooth
- Doesn't have any extra cords to pull or excess tinkering, so very easy to function
- A 24V battery that provides a run time of 25 minutes when fully charged so gets the job done about right.
- Onboard battery life indicator for you to check your battery life easily.
- Comes with a battery and charger included so you don't have to spend extra money on your product
- Adjustable pole length to provide ease of work
- The battery life can be a bit problematic
- The feeder design might not help every yard kind
6. Husqvarna Gas Straight Shaft String Trimmer
Husqvarna's prominence in this list should be fairly explanatory as to how good their products are. A company completely dedicated to making reliable, powerful, efficient and ergonomic weed trimmers that make your life easier. And in all honesty, they've lived up to their promise for a considerably long while.
They always provide you with the best at their disposal for your set of requirements for almost as cheap as possible. The Gas Straight Shaft String Trimmer 128LD is no different. It's very intuitive and efficient. If you're looking for something worth the money, it's definitely one of the best brush cutters out there available, especially for household usage.
- Engine: Houses a powerful 28cc xTorq engine. A powerful 28cc xTorq engine which is not only efficient, but environment friendly as well. The 28cc makes it a running beast while the xTorq removes harmful carbon emissions by 60% increasing engine efficiency by 20%. Also, the engine has been made smarter to ensure easier transitions
- Cutting area: Cutting width of 17 inches with line spool feed which will be used to cover a large ground in the yard to get your work done quickly and efficiently.
- Attachments: Up to two Attachment capable. Comes with a T25 automatic trimmer head along with easily accessible handle made with comfortable materials to ensure comfort when in use.
- Controls: The controls have been made intuitive for you to find ease of use. The choke and purge are easy to find thus hassle free
- Gas usage: Runs completely on gas, no oils or electricity involved
- Powerful battery life.
- Intuitive controls
- Easily accessible handle
- Special noise reduction technology
- No need for electricity
- Can slightly overheat, so take precautions
- Somewhat disappointing customer service
WORX is a company that specializes in your everyday yard tools, but tweaks them in their own style to bring about a big change in the overall performance. From making brush cutters to lawn mowers that don't stick to only the basic functions but goes beyond its basic traits into something that's versatile.
It's everything you'd need in a brush cutter but done better. The WG160 GT PowerShare Cordless String Trimmer works both as a brush cutter and a lawnmower. It's one of the most versatile brush cutter options out there in the market.
- Dimensions: Weighs only 5.7 pounds with product dimensions of 46.5 x 14 x 8.3 inches. So it is very lightweight, thus you can do your work easily and it doesn't cause a problem to your shoulder or back.
- Convertibility: 3-in-1 function that can be converted from very easily without any added attachments. Thus, saving you a great deal of time, money and effort from buying both separate appliances or attachments
- Cutting area: 12 inch cutting area diameter with single line feed.
- Battery: Powerful 20V battery which is shareable across all WORX devices along with 20+ minutes of run time
- Weighs only 5.7 pounds
- 3-in-1 Convertibility
- Powerful battery that's shareable across devices.
- Doesn't make too much noise/ vibration thus not problematic to use.
- 12 inch cutting area diameter makes cutting easier.
- No indicator to show battery charge
- Slightly hard to tilt when in use
8. WORX WG170 GT Revolution Grass Trimmer/Edger
WORX has some amazing products for your yard. All of their lawn mowers, brush cutters, trimmers etc. are a result of substantive research and engineering to make the product a reality. Their presence so many times in this list might be a testament to their quality.
But the WG170 GT Revolution Grass Trimmer is a beast. It's all about the sheer power of the product, it's the Lamborghini of cutters.
- Flexibility: 3-in-1 flexibility, can be converted from a string trimmer, to a line edger or to a mini mower very easily without any attachments. Thus it saves you the money of extra tools or attachments. Almost one foot longer than other brush cutters so you can use it to cover more space. Also, you have 7 handles and 6 rotating head positions for you to find a comfortable position to use.
- line feeding: Innovative Command feed Spool system for Instant line feeding
- Battery: Comes with two 20V batteries which can be used to share power among other WORX products as well
- Spacer guard: Adjustable spacer guard to protect flowers and ornaments
- Shaft: A telescopic shaft that adjusts to users height and posture paired with its lightweight construction for a very comfortable working experience.
- 3-in- 1 Convertibility without any attachments
- Comes with two powerful batteries that can be shared among other devices as well.
- Telescopic shaft that adjusts to user height
- Cheaper than other products of similar kind
- Available space guard to protect flowers
- Not as powerful as professional tools
9. Hitachi CG23ECPSL Gas Powered Drive Shaft String Trimmer
Hitachi has always been a powerhouse. Their expertise goes on in a lot of departments. They have a wide range of home appliances for you to choose from in a number of departments. They have also made their position permanent in the yard tools arena, and the Hitachi CG23ECPSL Gas Powered Drive Shaft String Trimmer is something of the very top drawer.
It's powerful, yet doesn't sound like you're running an entire company when it is working. If you're looking for something that's reliable, won't eat your pockets and give you a pleasant experience, this is all you need.
- Engine: 22.5 cc pure fire two-stroke engine that works on reducing emissions to maximize engine use and keeps the overall system lightweight.
- Length: Overall length of 69.6" to prevent bending as well as anti-vibration system in order to reduce user fatigue.
- Anti-vibration: Anti-vibration system to reduce user fatigue while preventing stress on the back and shoulders.
- 22.5 cc pure fire two-stroke engine
- S-start recoil system that helps to reduce force required to start the engine.
- Anti-vibration system
- Doesn’t make you feel tired
- Poor lever design
- Bad warranty support
10. Greenworks Cordless String Trimmer
Quite honestly, we don't have to stress on about how good GreenWorks is. Their sheer dedication towards yard instruments have expressed their quality very clearly. Powerful, efficient, smooth yet aesthetic, that's the best way to define the GreenWorks products.
The 14-Inch Cordless String Trimmer is another of their top drawer equipment. It's very versatile, probably the most versatile gas based trimmer you'd see around.
- Battery: Powerful 40V battery to ensure at least 60 minutes of run time with separate battery life indicator to show battery life
- Motor: Brushless motor to ensure better torque as well as better engine efficiency while saving battery life.
- Attachment: Attachment capable, can use most gas based attachments irrespective of the company. Thus, you can have your choice of attachment without worrying about companies.
- Weight: Weighs around 15 pounds, a bit heavy but the handle spreads the weight around so it doesn't induce fatigue.
- Motor: Brushless motor with a powerful engine to reduce noise and vibrations while ensuring the most efficiency.
- 40V battery that provides a run time of about 60 minutes
- Brushless motor to ensure better torque.
- Fast start to ensure quick function
- Lightweight construction
- Comes with available attachments
- Doesn't come with batteries, which need to be bought separately
- Not very suitable for left-handers
How To Choose The Best Brush Cutter?
For choosing the best brush cutter for yourself, you need to keep a few factors in mind. Here we are describing all these factors in details:
Type of cutter
Firstly, understand if you're looking for an electric, gas or oil based brush cutter. Look into your requirements, and if you think electric based cutters won't leave a mark on your brush cutter, then go for it. Oil or gas can be a great option also, but do keep in mind your requirements and what you can do with it.
Frequency of Use
Secondly, keep in mind how frequently you need to use your brush cutter as well as to how big/ small your yard is. Choose the power of your cutter depending on that criteria.
Thirdly, do keep in mind what you wish to do with it, whether that's taking care of foliage or cutting grass, or overall maintenance of your yard. That's another criterion you need to meet.
Material and Durability
Also, when you decide to buy a brush cutter, keep in mind the fact that you'd need it for a long time, so check the material of the shaft and the blade and then make a purchase.
There are certain brush cutters that are very versatile, they have 3-in-1 functions on their own and they don't need much tools or attachments to do so, so having one might save you a great deal of money.
Some brush cutters use attachments where the attachment choices aren't limited to just the parent companies. So if you're into tinkering, you should choose one with universal attachment capabilities
Also, look into the guard of the cutter. There's no point in buying something that covers you in a cesspool of mud and debris. Try getting one with some protection involved.
How To Maintain A Brush Cutter?
- If you have an oil based brush cutter, choose the right kind of oil, use it in the right amount and don’t use too much or too little.
- Inspect your products every once in a while. If anything goes out of order and has warranty, look into it.
- Clean your brush cutter regularly, remove any bit of dirt from it and wipe it with a bit of oil. For as long as you keep your brush cutter clean, it's going to last a while.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How do I choose between an electric or gas brush cutter?
Ans: Depends on your choice. If you think having a chargeable battery wouldn't make a hefty hike in your electric bills, go for it. Again, if you think an oil based cutter would reduce your costs, then that's what you should be looking for.
Here you can learn more about the differences between these two.
Q. Do I choose a two- stroke or four-stroke engine?
Ans: To think of it, 2 stroke-engines are more powerful and they make a lot of noise and emissions. Also, they're more expensive on oil economy and the wastage rates are a bit high.
However, four strokes are slightly less powerful, but they reduce emissions and noise to ensure oil economy. But they have more moving parts and thus they'd need lubrication more. But relatively four strokes engines are a better option as they make up for the cost with efficiency and lower maintenance.
Q. Do I need to wear protection before using my brush cutter?
Ans: Absolutely. Wear safety goggles, full length pants and gloves. Because the cutters can throw debris around your body, especially your eyes. Also, you really don't want to turn yourself into a mess, so better wear protection instead of hurting yourself. You can learn more about safe uses of brush cutter here.
Q. Are professional tools worth it for home use?
Ans: Professional tools are generally more expensive, and they have a lot of tinkering required in them. If you're wishing to buy a professional grade trimmer, think of your necessities first. If your tool isn't doing its job right then you can think of spending the money. However, it's still expensive and needs a lot of effort behind it, so spend it wisely.
Your yard is special, and so is your love for gardening. So you should be a bit careful in choosing the best brush cutter for the foliage. If you're willing to spend a bit of money, don't spend too much on the wrong stuff, look into it carefully and decide on what to buy.
This guide is all the help you need to buy the best brush cutter for yourself.